Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The worst and best week of my mission

Hello all!

Well. The title is really about one day-- that day was... the third. so.... ermmm.... Friday. Yes, Friday.


Story starts on Thursday. We send in our weekly report to the branch council aaaand if you rotated it, it would have looked like a bunch of snowmen stacked on top of each other.

No, I do not mean all 8s! I mean all zeroes (well not completely zeroes, but the numbers still stunk pretty badly)!

I had to send this one in aaand I was kind of disgusted with these numbers.

We decided we were going to crush those numbers from then on.

We started by going to Lam Jiemei's house... a 77 year old lady who is inactive. It was way different from the last times we visited her! She was so bright and happy to see us! She asked us what kept us from coming earlier and why we havent visited her sooner! It was interesting. We told her we visited her last week and that she was visiting her family so we talked with her husband!

She told us that she has been sick in bed and that "他的头脑是不好的“(His brain is no good).

It was kind of funny how she put it haha...

Anyway, she gave us some beanies she made from hand and some new year's / christmas presents! :DD
The rest of the night was going to be gooood :)
We then had a refferal from another missionary we were planning on visiting.... It was one of those "Well, the person waved to us and they looked kind of asian sooo... here ya go" kind of things.

Well, we went determined to make a lesson out of it.

They were chinese (YES) but not interested whatsoever (NO :( ). Well, I didn't care! I WANTED THAT LESSON!

So we did one of those doorway lessons.... first discussion, prayer, baptism invite. We then asked for another chinese person they knew.

They said the person next door was.

We went next door, the lady opened it  up, invited us to step in because it was FRIJO! (Or 冷, whatever floats your boat). She wasnt interested whatsoever BUT I DID NOT CARE; WE WERE GETTING THAT LESSON.

First discussion, prayer, baptism invite, BOOM lesson number 2.
We ask her who she knows that is Chinese....
She tells us HER next door neighbor is Chinese. (SCORE!)

We walk on over to the next house and tried to talk to them... they wouldn't open the door. Just did one of those open the curtain "We no want  talk to yoo" sort of things.


Well, we were still feeling pretty chipper because we hit two referrels in one sitting (and two lessons).

We move on to the next area... The first door wasnt home, but the next one was. Met a girl named Kathy-- asian, but Korean.
That happens pretty often.
Oh well, she spoke english!

Did a lesson! Got the prayer, got the baptism invite and we are OFF!

We had.. oh 20 minutes left. We were determined to grab two more lessons for the night.

We trot back to our car (by the way, this is a small coldesac-- I have NO idea how to spell that word-- with a ton of town homes. The houses we were visiting were literally within 70 yards of our car), ready to take on the next few houses.

Car. Gone.

We call the APs and tell them the car is gone. They tell us to look for a towing sign to call because chances are it got towed....

We were thinking it got stolen because there was no way it got towed while we were right there without us recognizing it!

We could not find a sign TO SAVE OUR LIVES. We ended up knocking on doors until someone would open up and give us a number to the police.... this was from 9 to 10 pm. Someone finally opened up and we called the police.

Did I mention it was about 25 degrees? I was so cold..

Glad I took that croteched beanie... and that I was wearing Grandma's wool socks.
Turns out we got toed. Super surprised. 150$ for parking without a guest pass and for being "too far from the curb" (Pehh, it was NOT THAT FAR FROM THE CURB. MERRY CHRISTMAS I HOPE YOU BUY YOURSELF A NICE PRESENT WITH THAT MONEY)

Alright, so we end up calling the towing company.

Right after that happens.... our phone dies. What.

We go back to knocking on doors, trying to get someone to let us use their phone. It ends up being about 11:00. No one lets us use their phone (by the way, all our contacts were in our phone that just died. oops.)

We go to a gas station and get two phone calls...

I only have the ward mission leaders number sooo....
we call him.
He gives us the other chinese elders number and we call them.
They don't answer so I left them instructions in a voicemail for them to call the annandale zone leaders and give them the address I gave them. I felt like I was in the movie Taken, giving the daughter a phone call with instructions.

There was a taxi right outside of the gas station. We talked to him and he gave us the taxi company number.
That was a blessing....

We went to mcdonalds and asked to use their phone.

After repeated tries of turning on our phone WE FINALLY SECURED THE ZONE LEADERS NUMBERS.
We called them a TON of times. No answer.
It was then about 10:50ish, so we gave up and called a taxi

We got home a little before 12, called the AP's and told them what happened.

The following day at 6:45 am, we got a call from the zone leaders and we told them what happened. They then came over, picked us up, and took us over to the towing company to grab our car.

I am out of time, but man, that following day was really rough. SO TIRED.

Alright, will talk to you all more next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment